Wednesday, August 24, 2011

DIY: $2 Frame Chalkboard

So many people seem to be able to find a really fun ornate frame at the thrift store for under $5. I, however, am not one of those people! Our small town thrift shops just don't seem to stock those. I settled for this really large frame for $1.89 (can't beat the price right?!). I felt a little bad when the worker said, "ahh so neat painting huh?" only for me to respond with, "well I'm turning it into a chalkboard." Clearly I didn't think it was such a neat painting.
This took about five minutes while Asa ate his lunch.

1. Clean the glass and remove the frame.
2. Use chalk spray paint directly on the glass and flat white (or anything) on the frame. (Rustoleum is my favorite!)
3. After a few coats - voila!
4. Make sure to allow the chalkboard paint a good 24 hours to dry. I didn't and some of it scraped up while I wrote and I had to re-do it.
5. Once it's dry, take the chalk sideways (no sharp edges) and rub it gently all over the board. Gently rub it off with a rag. And now it's good to go.

My husband put it back together and I now have a chalkboard hanging up in the pantry. It's already been helpful in preventing me from forgetting to buy key pantry supplies!

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...