Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Melting Peppermints

I saw on Cooking Light peppermint topped brownies and I thought it would be a lot of fun to make mini "gingerbread" houses out of brownies with peppermint roofs to put at each place for the kids - but brownies do not work for this.  And since it was last minute anyway I scrapped the idea and just went with their original idea.  But next year I plan to try this again using a chocolate cake.  I'll let you know how it goes.

In the meantime - melting peppermints is a breeze.
Heat oven to 300 F.
Line a pan with parchment paper and mark out 1.5 - 1.75 in squares on the back side (you don't really need to do this and if your peppermints seem bigger go farther apart, smaller go closer together.  Since mine didn't melt perfectly together I swirled them with a toothpick.)
Wait 10-15min.
When them come out score with a pizza cutter along your lines.  Once cool they'll break right apart.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. when I was in kindergarten or first grade, we did a project with melted peppermints.

    they weren't melted as completely as this, just enough to make a wreath and make the discs stay connected.

    then we used that wreath as a frame for our school picture. it became an ornament that we gave our parents as a Christmas present.

    every year after I made that ornament, I would lick the discs while it was on the tree. I know. Gross.

    But maybe the discs could be better preserved by coating them with a layer of polyurethane or even a simple artist's fixitive spray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you love those kid ornaments!? Fun idea to use peppermints for a frame - we only ever did beads and macaroni -probably to prevent us from eating them - :)
    I wanted something the kids could enjoy at the table for dessert as well as have it be decor - needs some more experimenting though!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...